Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading another members comments a day or so ago I tried something new to me.

Don't look at the target, you know where it is and roughly how far away it is at a glance anyway,so there's no need.

Draw the bow to full anchor holding just off the target but still not looking at it.
Watch the arrow come to full draw length and stop moving before then swinging smoothly onto the target an stopping in time with the beginning of aiming.

Acquire the sight picture,hold and release.

It's worked very well for me and separating drawing and aiming from each other seems to have made each easier to do, and the result is I'm getting my aim correct a lot more and my physical shot is more consistent.
Tighter groups than usual at all ranges to 40yards yesterday..

Sweet !

Comments ?

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
As I set up my shot I'm aware of the target in a general sense but in no way am I aiming. I think much of the target panic we see comes from guys "burning a hole " from the second they step up to the stake.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Well?...I guess I'll volunteer to be the village idiot to champion "A Different Way"...as I just love snap shooting instinctively....why?...it suits my needs for practical accuracy at reasonable (for me) hunting distances and also allows me to effectively shoot a bow of about 10#'s more draw weight than I could handle if I were form/gap target shooting but mostly?...cause I find it extremely relaxing and enjoyable...I guess I'm just different...so sign me up for the short bus! :lol:

and yes...I know...I'll never be as accurate as Matt or other highly disciplined form/gap shooters but I'm okay with that...fun first. ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Maybe this is aiming, maybe it isn't. I've been paying a lot of attention to how I address the target, in particular the plane of my chest and the degree of rotation of my head. With the plane of my chest parallel to the intended path of the arrow, I "aim" my chin at the target point. This alignment cues raise and draw. At full draw (but not yet expansion) I have been training myself so that a certain point on the riser aligns vertically and horizontally with the target point every time. This is all Form, yes. But I find that without hitting those alignments, the "line" of my draw and anchor is inconsistent. And so are my groups, sometimes badly so. There is no baseline geometry from which to aim from.

When I pay attention to my rules of alignment my groups follow suit and tighten right up. As to whether addressing the target is Form or Aim . . . I'll leave that to those more experienced.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
John, be very carefull, this can lead you down a very bad road. Why because I have been there!

At this point you need to develope a hold pattern at the target with the point on spot and don't allow the sight of the spot trigger the release.

The trigger for the release should be thru expansion of the shot.

That being the only thought in your head, not watching the tip of the arrow.

If I watch the tip of the arrow I find myself falling back into pattern of a sudden release a soon as I see the target, which is a panic mode for me. not controlled mode.

Try to hold without real aim. Just get a good feel for your sight picture.

DDD

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DDD, thanks I'll be keeping that in mind.

I'm not actually watching the arrow tip during my aim.
Once I'm at full draw I look at the target and drift the bow into my sight picture like I always do and seeing the arrow in the same way I always do,.
I'm just not looking at the target until I'm ready to shoot it.

Lanny Basham maintains you see things best in the first few moments of looking at them.
With that in mind I'm trying to get the best view I can before taking my shot.

Anyway,Work in progress.
Thanks for the replies.
John.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts