Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about ILF systems.

I have a friend that wants to start hunting with a bow and arrow. We were talking over the phone and he asked about purchasing a bow. He has not shot in years. I told him that he was probably best off with an ILF rig because he could purchase a riser and some 30 pound limbs to learn with and then something heavier for hunting. Moneywise it's probably his best bet. I don't think you guys would disagree with that.

Well, I grabbed my Lancaster catalog to see what I could advise him to get and I find that most risers in that 100 to 200 dollar range are 23 to 25 inches long. Before I looked at the catalog I thought I'd look for something 15 or 17 inches (black) to make a hunting bow around 62 inches or 66 for a 28 inch draw.

Is there a flaw in my reasoning? Maybe he'd be better off spending more on a 15 to 17 inch Morrison riser?

Opinions?

Bowmania

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Titan, either 17"or 19".

I have a 17" but sometimes feel I might of been better off buying a 19" since I'm now more 3D/ target oriented than I was.

Cost,,,,,not very far down the road from purchase it nolonger matters but you do have a better base to build on,which does matter.

John.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,551 Posts
I think the suggestion of an ILF bow is a good one. I think the first consideration would be his draw length. Don't want to set him up with something too long or too short.

Then go over a range of options and he can choose something that meets his needs and pocketbook.

Lower cost target risers would be one option, and there are some that are shorter like the 21" Excel.

Could also shop around for a Warf. This might take a little patience, but some of these Warfs are the best value out there.

Another option would be one of the TradTech hunting risers like the Pinnacle II or the Apex. Little higher in price, but a good value.

Then you get to the next level that would include the Dalaa's, Titans, Morrisons, Dryads and so one. Again if he has some time these can be found used, but new your looking at $400+.

Again, I think ILF is a good suggestion, but I would also let him know about the Sage and Journey by Samick. Also a good beginner's bow that can grow.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Faced with the same decision a couple of year's ago I went Warf. Smartest thing I could have done I believe. I tried several different manufacturer's risers and a ton of limbs on them but the risers that have stayed are all Warfs.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - look like good knowledge suggestions. I'm weak on the ILF even though I have a Warf (R), friend is a lefty.

What about the Pinnacle II or Apex. Not metal, but ILF?

Bowmania

·
Bart Harmeling
3,551 Posts
I've shot a Pinnacle II quite a bit and have an Apex in the family. Pin is 19" and Apex is 17". There is also a 17" Galaxy that is less deflexed than the Apex. Good risers. My only issue with them is that the grip is on the chunky side, particularly on the Apex. But that is not a bad thing if the shooter prefers a larger grip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love my Pinnacle II, which I don't have much to compare to as this was my first recurve bow. The package deal of Pinnacle II riser and Blackmax limbs that Landcaster sells was the best deal I could find at the time on a bow that I wanted to use mainly for hunting and the occasional 3D tournaments and the Landcaster customer service has been second to none. To me the bow is very asthetically appealing and shoots as good as I could ask, when I do my part it puts the arrow where I need it to. I thought the ILF systems were to mechanical for my vision of traditional shooting when I was looking, but after finally convincing myself to get this bow it has been the best step I could have taken as new trad archer. It still leaves room for upgrades in limbs and adjustablility in weight and performance. Very happy with my selection.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ran into something - a 17 inch Gen II by Morrison for 295.00. With long limbs would that make a 62 inch bow? I don't think he should shoot shorter and he should jump on that NOW. I think that price is 100 cheaper than any other metal riser?

Bowmania

1 - 9 of 9 Posts