Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Zsolt from Hungary, an "old" reader of the TT. I would like to ask for advice:

I have a Border Harrier Royale longbow, amo 28"@40#, my drawlenght is amo 29,75". My draw weight is on my finger about 44#. I looking for woodies for this bow.
What would be the recommended spine for a 30" long barelled shaft with 100grain point ? I want order from the Hildebrand's some barelled shitka shafts, but I dont know which spine would be good. I think, maybe the 55-60# spine would be good, but I am not sure.... Please give me advice.

Best Regards:

Zsolt

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Welcome Zsolt, send an e-mail to Hilderbrand with your bow info, type, who made it, draw weight at your draw, your draw length, how long you want the arrow, how close to centre shot the bow is, target or hunting use etc. I did and they sent me exactly what I needed, 24 shafts, breasted, light for target shooting, weight within 6 grains and spined to .020 of each other. They shoot great :)

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
For a Bow like this its our expeirience that about 15-20lbs over the marked weight for 28" draw lengths.
So at a guess, id say about 20-25lbs over for your DL if its closer to 30"

Wood arrows have not evolved thier spine range for faster bows over time, while carbons are based on factual deflection. rather than an interpretation of the deflection

·
Registered
614 Posts
Brutusz,

Not sure if it helps but I also have a Border Harrier Royale (double carbon longbow). It is I think 47# @ 32", my DL is around 32". She seems to like 75# with 100grains. They seem to require more spine than most.

You can discover what it likes with a little trial and error - get a ball park spine and then adjust point weight and or length from there to find what works. You can of course also try an alloy or carbon out of it to get an idea what works and extrapolate from that.

You might want to consider the top hat adapter points for wood arrows which allow you to quickly swap out point weight for immediate adjustments - can speed up tuning.

Good luck.

Dylan

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Brutusz,

Not sure if it helps but I also have a Border Harrier Royale (double carbon longbow). It is I think 47# @ 32", my DL is around 32". She seems to like 75# with 100grains. They seem to require more spine than most.

You can discover what it likes with a little trial and error - get a ball park spine and then adjust point weight and or length from there to find what works. You can of course also try an alloy or carbon out of it to get an idea what works and extrapolate from that.

You might want to consider the top hat adapter points for wood arrows which allow you to quickly swap out point weight for immediate adjustments - can speed up tuning.

Good luck.

Dylan
Dylan, there are not many longbows our there that dont have some glass in them... The weight of the limbs effects cast. and when the limbs are not bolstered by glass, it will effect the bows speed

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You Dylan !

If your Harrier Royale GL works good with 32" long 75# spined shafts at 47#@32" with 100gr point, so I think I have to subtract from this spine 2 X 5#/inch for my 30" arrowlenght and subtract about an other 3 # for my lower drawweigt too... = 75# - 2X5# - 3# = 62# and if I want breasted shafts, I should subtract other some # from the spine (because the breasted shafts needs lower spine as the paralell shafts), so I guess about 57-60# spine breasted shafts would be good for my Harrier Royale GL at my 30" drawlenght and 44# drawweight..., if it is would be to weak, I can change the 100gr point to a 70gr point (but I think in this case the FOC would be not to good...).

Could this maths correct ?

Zsolt

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi !

I think at the end of this weekend I found the right shaft for my Harrier Royale GL.... I had time to experiment with different weights of points... I had some "old" 29" long 70-75# spine shitka shafts from the Hildebrands with 130gr point... (so far, these arrows I used for a 60# "other" defelx-reflex longbow....).

My starting point was the advice from Sid (Sid was asked trough the Hildebrands):

"Our longbows re faster than most recurves and so I would expect that he would need about 25 to 30 pound over the spine So 40lbs at 28" would be 43/44lbs at 29.75 arrows would be 30" assuming a 125 grain points he would be looking to start experimenting with spines in the 70 to 75 may need to go up a spine to 75 to 80lbs"

So, I cut from 3 shafts the feathers, and I shot 3 fletched shaft and 3 bare shaft from 10yard... The bare shafts strayed to the left (I am lefthanded...), and one of them broken in my polifoam... To weak....

I replaced the 130gr points to 110gr points and shot again from 10 yard. Ok, but the impacts were still left.... I shot again from 20 yard... and again, the bare shafts strayed to the left and a other one of them broken in my polifoam... still to weak....

I replaced the 110gr points to 90gr points and made another bare shafts... and shot again from 20 yard. Finaly the impacts were PERFECT :)

So after 2 broken arrow, I found the right spine and point for my amo 28"@40# Border Harrier Royale GL longbow ! I need from the 29" long shafts the 70-75 spine with 90grain point...

I want to thank Neil and Roxane Hildebrand and Sid the good support and advice !
I tell the truth, I found to much the recommended spine, with 30-40# more spine shot as signed... This is certanly an exagerration... But SID WAS RIGHT ! The Harrier Royale GL need this spine.... what a big performance !

Thank You Sids!

After this bareshaft test I shot some from 20yard, with the choosen shafts.... See the pics. I think the Harrier Royale GL is a perfect rocketlouncher ! :)

Best Regards !

Zsolt

Sorry for this big picturres... How can I insert pics ? Help please !

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Well done and welcome to the posting side of Tradtalk.

Rasyad

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Zsolt, I just spent the weekend shooting a competition with my Falco-Force longbow and woods-Hilderbrand breasted, I used a TopHat 70grain point with great results, everyone commented on the perfect arrow flight, my scores were far better than I expected. Btw, this was the first time in 20 years that I have shot a "Trad" longbow in competition. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.