Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen
Now that winter is losing it's icy grip and the first days of spring are upon us, many will be venturing out doors to shoot for extended periods of time.

Today I treated a shooting friend who's developed a serious lesion on the underside of his foot after a long days shooting with a small stone in his shoe. He was unaware of the stone due to his loss of sensation
Diabetic ulcers can develop with astonishing speed and ferocity and can be difficult to treat.
Could I respectfully remind all those archers living with Diabetes to check your feet if you're out for a days shooting. Check your socks for seams and holes and check inside your footwear for damage and foreign objects. If you see any areas of rubbing or blistering please consult your doctor straight away. Diabetes is a major factor in the incidence of lower limb amputation in the developed world, with 85% of amputations being preceded by a plantar ulcer.

I apologise if this post comes across as a little strong, but I would hate to hear that one of our TT members has been added to the amputation statistics.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Thanks Phil!...Very thoughtful of you...there was a time just a couple years back that I felt like I had fire ants eating at my legs...I went to the ER nearly in tears from the pain...The Doc there told me it was diabetic neuropathy and that they couldn't treat it...this was on a Friday evening and I had no primary care physician at the time and still don't...I need to get one...but in the parking lot I did cry thinking..."I'm going to relapse cause I can't take this pain all weekend!"...it was the nerves in my legs being destroyed...and when I thought about using drugs to ease my pain?...I called my sponsor from right there in the hospital parking lot...who owns a well known high end rehab...he told me to sit tight and don't do a thing...30 minutes later?...he called me back telling me where my script for Lyrica was ready for pick-up...that was kind of nasty stuff too...not a high...just plain weird at first....but it got me through it...I now take my gluberide pills in the morning like a good diabetic and?...yes...I pay top dollar for the best fitting footwear I can find cause...I can't feel chit below the knees. :lol:

Great reminder...Thanks! Bill. :)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill
Sadley that's a story I've listened to hundreds of times from hundreds of different people..
Glad to hear that it's all under control.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Thanks for caring for our forum members and visitors.

I have worked in a hospital for 3/5th of my life on the support side; I have learned a little bit each year about the medical side. Thanks for teaching me about diabetes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts