Trad Talk Forums banner

a recurve field bow

5K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  tori 
#1 · (Edited)
A bow to shoot field can require some thought. First you have to be able to carry the bow around a course consisting of 28 target. Some of these courses are a walk in the park and some are over hill and dell. The weight depends on what kind of shape you are in. 6+# is heavy. 2# is light. For me 4# is about the upper limit (old geezer)

Draw weight always requires some thought. You will shoot 28x4 arrows at targets 7yds to 80yds distance. You would like to aim, gapping or direct and not holding on a cloud above the target. You may have noticed in Greysides pic that some folks that set up the course have a sadistic side to their personality. They set the 7 yard stacked dot targets at extreme angles. They also like to set distance targets at different elevation from the shooter. Makes gapping a math contest. In the end you need a draw weight and arrow weight and length to get the distances covered. You have to be able to shoot 112 arrows.

Here is a bow I am working on. 28# on my fingers. 3# 15oz. I made it thru 50 targets yesterday with the bow. Still got some work to do on my engine.

Forty yard group testing arrows. Arrows are a bit weak. I was holding center line.

See less See more
#4 ·
Which arrows Rusty? Have you tried the VAPs?

-Grant

#11 · (Edited)
I have shot this riser against all the 25" risers through the chronograph. Limb for limb it holds it's own. Oddly it out runs half of them. I don't think stiffness is an issue.

It does have a bit different feel. I have tried to figure it out several times. I can't put my finger on it.

Basically I like it and shoot it well.

#10 ·
rusty, i used to shoot a field round every night after work. i used a 32# BOW AND 16/16 aluminums. i was almost point on at 65 yards with an under chin anchor with that set-up. was shooting an 66" catalina target bow. those old aluminums were sort of heavy compared to some of the stuff today but they flew well.

#14 ·
My set up as well, after seeing yours a while back, very happy with mine it has exceeded all expectations. Using VAP V6 700 spine, 38# at 28" draw.
Also 2.5 turns up, i tried lighter ult pros at max in ,but get better feel with heavier ult pros at mid setting, both gave 38#.

#15 ·
Shooting Field is so much fun. Glad you found something you like Rusty. There are a lot of choices to be made when setting up a NFAA Trad class recurve.

I'm in the process of figuring out how to shoot a field round with a longbow.. It's going to take some time lol

Would anyone be interested in starting a "Field Scores" thread? Something like what we had with the "300 scores" thread. I think it would be really fun and open up discussion about field shooting as well.

#17 ·

Attachments

Reactions: rusty craine
#21 ·
Trevor:

Those limbs need to be running a lower BH at that preload. They work much better with a lot less bend in the mid-limb.

-Grant

#22 ·
Thanks Grant.
BH is right around 6 3/4".
Will have to try a new string.

#30 ·
May it's just the way the picture is displaying for me. It looks more like a 8" BH on my screen.
6 3/4" should be plenty low.

The Spig Revo seems to be a fairly inline riser which makes Rusty's speed numbers make sense.

-Grant

#23 ·
I digress but what is the size of the target (or kill zone) you are shooting at 80 yards?

It interests me that so much thought goes into setting up a bow for each discipline. I used to think one bow would serve multiple purposes, I was wrong.

#24 ·
For field archery 80 yard target is 65cm 5 ring target (scores 5, 4, 3, 2, 1).

#28 ·
Mine was almost 5 weeks to my Post Office. Here in West Oz we are the last of the last as far as our so called postal service is concerned. Alt serv. E mailed me the day it arrived to them and sent it same day.

#27 ·
Jon just order it. Might take awhile but Alt usually delivers.

#29 ·
A lot of good stuff going here. A field score thread would be fun. But lets go back just a little I read a lot about I can hit the bunny but not the 80 or hit the 80 but not the bunny. Sandy and I both have a 45 yd point on but still can hit the 80 most of the time. and the bunny is a slam dunk. maybe we need an aiming thread for field shooting. Not trying to Hijack the thread Rusty
Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.