Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I put some sticky backed felt on the button,because I have heaps of it.
I take empty tubes out of ball point pens and slip them on wire rests if I need really quiet.
They are a tiny bit bigger than the tube supplied with some rests but a spot of glue on the wire before you slip the tube over it solves that issue.

Many years ago one of my uncles told me that if I dropped a pin and heard it hit the floor,then a deer would hear it at 20 yards.
I'm not totally sure that's correct but I still apply the basic idea when I set up my bows to hunt.

John.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
It isn't simply noise that a deer reacts to; it is unfamiliar or un-natural noise. they can hear things we can't---even if we have young undamaged ears.
Metal on metal clicks clanks or screeeeeches are like a warning siren. One reason I rapidly gave up AL arrows early in the game. Sticky-back moleskin is the bowhunters best friend. Metal tree stands can create a "heavy metal" concert to a deer unless GREAT care it taken with them.
While I shoot several rests I REALLY like the old sticky back rubber/plastic rests like the old Bear weather rest or the NAP stic-on and similar elevated rests on a dedicated hunting bow-----pretty much fool-proof and ear quiet.

Deer can sound-locate well and any odd-to-the-environment noises coming from places they are not supposed to be coming from run up the red flags too.

It is amazing the sounds that we can make as we draw and release. sometime take a small tape recorder into a real quiet shooting lane and set it on record and tape as you shoot four or five arrows. then play it back with a good set of headphones with the vol. turned up-----they still won't be as good as a deers hearing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.