Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave in a few months for a float trip down the Amazon

I will be primarily fly fishing and using light tackle but ............. I'm bringing a recurve to see what I can get done.

I was looking for a setup that was packable and that could be used for Bowfishing and regular shooting and excel at both

I am pleased with the finished project bow and shot a little video today on a local river to show how versatile this set up is

I also speak a little bit on the knife I have chosen to take on this trip

I can not overstate the importance of a good knife in situations where you are using braided heavy lines

Getting to your knife quickly can be a very important thing to say the least

I will be taking a video camera on the trip and I am hoping to get some good footage of South America and the Amazon Basin

Hope you enjoy it and thanks for looking

I leave in a few months for a float trip down the Amazon

I will be primarily fly fishing and using light tackle but ............. I'm bringing a recurve to see what I can get done.

I was looking for a setup that was packable and that could be used for Bowfishing and regular shooting and excel at both

I am pleased with the finished project bow and shot a little video today on a local river to show how versatile this set up is

I also speak a little bit on the knife I have chosen to take on this trip

I can not overstate the importance of a good knife in situations where you are using braided heavy lines

Getting to your knife quickly can be a very important thing to say the least

I will be taking a video camera on the trip and I am hoping to get some good footage of South America and the Amazon Basin

Hope you enjoy it and thanks for looking

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
So Cool......Thanks.

Rasyad

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Definitely trad....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely trad....
I be looking for him :)

The indigenous folks are very into hunting and the only ones allowed to hunt in the Amazon basin

I hear they like yo take folks along so we will see what happens

In my past experience traveling the remote places of the world I get along very well with the locals :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
One quick question. From very slight experience, being in a very hot, humid atmosphere and wet environment, it doesn't take long before that nice leather knife sheath will start to grow "hair" from fungus and rot. It happens fast unless constant leather care is taken. Being constantly wet from sweat, humidity and water does a job on any leather.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
One quick question. From very slight experience, being in a very hot, humid atmosphere and wet environment, it doesn't take long before that nice leather knife sheath will start to grow "hair" from fungus and rot. It happens fast unless constant leather care is taken. Being constantly wet from sweat, humidity and water does a job on any leather.
Yes leather needs care and I've toted leather sheaths from Africa to Alaska in heavy rain etc with no problems

I will not be hopefully swimming with it

I have used Tuff Glide as a rust preventative for extended periods in the bush and with diligent care of my equipment leather works fine

Plus I'll only be gone about 9 days

The only option for a sheath would be something like Kydex and I do not put good knives in plastic sheaths

Last time I was in Tanzania it was brutal and I walked around soaked and my leather did just fine

You have to remember for centuries men crossed oceans and jungles with leather sheaths and carbon knives

Always makes me smile when I see people needing stainless steel and plastic sheaths because they do not want to take care of stuff

Good question thou and thanks

Plus I have 3 Hurak's with sheaths so this one can beat up a bit

The other two are forged W-2 which is prone to rusting quicker than this steel

Fancy Hurak W2 & Iron wood

Fancy Hurak W2 and Micarta

User Hurak

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hey J, thank you for one more fantastic video.
I have a question. What holds your bow fishing arrow in place?(whaen not on the self) I didn't see a quiver. Is it some kind of AMS gadget?

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey J, thank you for one more fantastic video.
I have a question. What holds your bow fishing arrow in place?(whaen not on the self) I didn't see a quiver. Is it some kind of AMS gadget?
Yes the newer reels have an arrow holder

Here this pic kinda shows it

I have a regular arrow nicked and the fish arrow is in the holder

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.