Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Larry (and others , please chip in)
Horses have obviously been a major part of your life, whats your opinion of the modern system of "joining up" with your horse as popularised by people like Monty Roberts?. My wife and I have been to a couple of Monty's demonstrations and tried some of his techniques on our horses I have to say we've both been very impressed.
Be interested in your thoughts and comments.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Phil, I deal with lots of 'natural ' horsemanship devotees . I have seen some amazing results . But I think there is a good deal of work involved that is more involved than many realise .

Myself, I happy with my own methods as taught to me . My horses go okay , and I bombproof them pretty thoroughly. I haven't tried enough myself to say yah or nay from personal experience .

I believe it if done well , the techniques and mindset are of great value indeed.

But they are very time intensive methods , and previously I may have 10 or more foals to work a season. As such , being time poor I stuck with what I knew , not what I saw, if you take my meaning.

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
in a way, i do the same thing. when i bring in a gelding to start working they are 10-12 years old and have been on range land all their life. i get in a corral with them and use a 40 foot cotton rope to "touch" them all over and even get them to lead off the poll and pick their feet up. they do not know the rope from my touch because they are wild. takes about an hour and their eye goes soft and i have "handled" them all over. sort of makes a rope a safe place. thats pretty important when i rope a cow or calf the first time. if they get tangled they just relax. saves a lot of wrecks.
but, when i start riding them it's pretty much saddle them, haul to the hills, get on and cover some country. if they want to buck, i punish them on a loose rein until they stick their neck out and travel. they end up pretty good for the most part. they are honest if you have work to do and a cow in sight but you have to ride a little different if they think you are just goofing around.
thats why i have been trading off now. i'm 79 years old. my bones are probably brittle and i am not athletic.
truely wild horses are much easier to break to use than some spoiled pasture pet. those kind scare me. too unpredictable.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Larry and Ben I appreciate your comments
Ben ... we're lucky in that we only have two mares so we can devote the time to them, as you said, and I agree, it does take time and patience but the results are worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts