Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our first elimination round for European team selection, I built the course but let somebody else set the stakes to try and make it a little more fair and this seemed to work pretty well. they were behind me as I was placing 3D's, it was a great location with some 30 degree downhill shots, the SRT 3D G1 targets are not very big, it's normally 33y max but I shot one at 35y. I cannot believe for first weekend in May we had snow, kinda added to the challenge, it was nice that the sleet/snow stopped once the tourney got under way but I was already soaked through.:crymeariv

A Swedish judge/official from WA3D was visiting for technical overview in prep for Euro champs, he enjoyed shooting the competition, he was sighted Rec and I was 13 points behind him.

Dont know what happened, I think I was just worn out from setting the 24 target course but the first two targets I shot 3 x 5's (it's a 2 arrow round) the first target was a 15y Owl and I put both arrow high over the kill then next was a Black Bear 30y and went low under the kill, very confused I then realized I had counted my tab stitches in reverse lol, after that Doh moment I clicked in and only shot 3 more 5's during the day. I was 15 points behind 3rd place Unlimited, he is a good Target Archer but WA3D is new to him, it was my 2nd 3D shooting Barebow and I was very happy with my Form and distance estimation, two Gap Recurve shooters that were close to me when I gapped (one is WA3D world champ) both were 80 points behind me, so from this info I'm thinking it was a solid performance, I averaged just under 9 points per arrow (scoring 11. 10, 8 and 5).

Girls shooting fox at 23 yards downhill

SRT G1 target with 33y max, Kadi humor with the horns :p we purchased 30 new 3D's specially for this team selection tourney, 5 more to go and top 3 from each of the 4 divs will represent Estonia at Europeans.

If I can get some more pics I will post up.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pleased with myself for clearing area and setting a tricky 25 yard Bobcat set at 30 degree downhill slant. I have a big hammer for setting metal stakes for 3D's which I inscribed "Thor" on the handle, Katrin is used to being the big boss and her helping me set the course was turning into unproductive bossing around, so I made a new rule, whoever welds Thor's hammer is the boss, problem solved :p

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a fun course.

Not so fun making it though.

Matt
I do enjoy setting a 3D course but these mobile shoots we put on do add some pressure, only 2-3 hours to set the course and in most cases I dont have any chance to warm on the practice range. It's easier on our home range where I have several days to set the course, all these 6 qualification tourneys will be held in a different location, the terrain is challenging not just to shoot but to get the targets out in time.

Last Oct we had 1 Barebow in Estonia, this tourney we had 12 paticipating this div, a lot of the new shooters have some growing to do (including myself), I think it will be an exciting div in Estonia over the next couple of years. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Steve, great looking course...IBO has pretty much standardized the scoring rings on all their Rhinehart targets...most of the 10 rings are about 4.5-5" is this the same on your larger targets??? Looks like yours may be smaller??

Also what brand of targets are those??

Dewayne

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
That's good looking countryside and well done for all the clearing.

The first thing that comes to mind when I see these courses is the glancing of my arrows off the targets and into the wilderness!

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Good job Steve and Katrina (mrs thor) reminds me so much of a fantastic shoot in Switzerland, Solotun, many years ago. :)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Steve, great looking course...IBO has pretty much standardized the scoring rings on all their Rhinehart targets...most of the 10 rings are about 4.5-5" is this the same on your larger targets??? Looks like yours may be smaller??
Does the IBO not shoot any of the smaller targets?

Steve,

That shoot looks as awesome as it was a pain to put together, love the angles.

-Grant

·
Registered
607 Posts
Looks like a really nice piece of ground to shoot on. Lots of different looks you can get. Setting up just before you shoot is hard to do. I had to do that for our Monday evening shoots 30 targets. The bad part is when you score good, and I think you did that people want to say it is because you set it up. But go ahead and tell them they can set it up and watch how fast they keep quiet.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Good on you.....Ihave done my fair share of this in Whitehorse. We usually have lots of help though which is great.

It's always hard to concentrate on shooting after you do the work though.

I used to have to organize and run and play in tennis tournaments. You would be playing a match and ppl would be coming to you constanly asking questions WHILE you were in the middle of a match.....hard to get focussed.

jer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.