Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you read this on Win&Win site?

What string material should I use?

A. We suggest materials like Angel Majesty and Dyneema, Fastflight, 8125, etc. We also discourage users from using materials like 452X, 8190X and other materials that will put undue stress on the bow potentially leading to eventual damage. This is not an exclusive materials that you can use, just a suggestion of the types of strings that will and won't work with your bow.

I found it interasting as I have been using 8190 for some time.
I will go back to D97.
Could not found 8190X so I presume that they are refering to the 8190.

Martin

Reactions: sidekick

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've used 8190 and 8190G for years on all my recurves...Americas Best Bowstrings makes ALOT of Olympic style strings and they are the ones that got me hooked on it.

Maybe the X on the end has something to do with it???

X will always get you in trouble!

Dewayne

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I could understand the 452-X, because of the Vectran blend in it making it have very little give to at the shot, but I dont see much difference between 8125, and 8190, really...Hmmmm...Jim

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I could understand the 452-X, because of the Vectran blend in it making it have very little give to at the shot, but I dont see much difference between 8125, and 8190, really...Hmmmm...Jim
if you can shoot a 50lbs bow with 8 strands. of little to no stretch type strings.
and some people shoot 18 stands of the same stuff, Then id hazard a guess that the string is so over built that its going to have no give in it anyway?

So having a 12 or 14 strand Vectran blend, isn't going to make that much difference.

(thinking outloud rather than any kind of fact)

The only thing I can think of is needing a few twists in it to give it a little string to it, as well as a little better roundness for the tab and nock, but also, keeping away from minimum arrow weights. Having No stretch strings (either high stand counts, or these new "cable" strings) just means you need a little more efficiency on your side to take the sting out the bow.

imho

·
Registered
638 Posts
Seems to me that going to extremes with a light arrow has as much if not more potential for damaging your rig. So if you are pushing the limits with both low stretch string material and light arrows you had better know the risks you are taking. Perhaps W&W had this in mind with their disclaimer?

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
465 Posts
I use D97 on my HH style longbows. I would not risk 8190 on those or any bow that does not like less than 8 gpp arrows. I did have a breakage on a bow when I switched to many strands (22) of 8190. I can't prove that was the cause, but the incident made me scared and I think that too many strands of 8190 (or any low stretch string) can put extra unneeded stress on a bow. I'm sure most bows can take it, but why risk it if the performance increase is so marginal over these other very good string types.

I use 8190 on my DX-5 with longbow limbs. That setup allows much lighter arrow, and since I use 9-10 gpp arrows, and the DAS connection has rubber pads, I have no worries there.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Thing that gets me is I'm happy with both 8125 and 8190 but the 8190 is very quiet, even with short crawls on my Stringwalking, to me that indicates a good thing, high noise equates to excess vibration and lost energy.

Or is no noise the calm before the storm :sbrug:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Thing that gets me is I'm happy with both 8125 and 8190 but the 8190 is very quiet, even with short crawls on my Stringwalking, to me that indicates a good thing, high noise equates to excess vibration and lost energy.

Or is no noise the calm before the storm :sbrug:
I noticed the same thing when I switched to 8190 on my target bow. I could care less how loud it is, but it did quiet up significantly over D97.

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank for your answers.
8091 is quieter than D97 but I’m afraid it put more stress to the bow tips.
I had my bow tuned with 8091 but when I changed to D97 it was way out until I unscrew tiller bolts one full turn. Now arrows fly straight but at 1# less draw weight. I cannot understand why. Been “softer”, the bow with D97 string should need more draw weight to get same stroke.
Martin

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Got a reply from BCY.....

Dear Steve,

8190 has been popular with recurve shooters. I do not know why Win and Win said not
to use it. Basically 8125G is made of SK 75 dyneema, The 8190 is the newer SK 90. It
has less creep to it, little less elasticity. The 8190 is a slight upgrade over the 8125.

452X which has Vectran added, can be rougher on the limbs. 452x is more popular
with compound shooters. But there are some that prefer that for recurves.

Many top Olympians are shooting the 8190 with no problems. Some still prefer
the feel of the 8125. So it's a personnel choice.

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
465 Posts
I do not know why Win and Win said not
to use it. ... it has less creep to it, little less elasticity.
My opinion is that BCY answered their question in their own response.

The modern strings including D97 and 8125 are already very good in terms of creep and stretch. People automatically assume that less and less creep and less and less stretch is always an advantage. But, the real world always has tradeoffs, and rarely are extremes the optimum place to be.

Perhaps the "Win" engineers think as I do and see some advantages to a little bit of creep and a little bit of stretch.

First the creep. How else can an imperfectly made string settle in to have balanced force on all strands? Sure, you want to make a good quality string, but can a human make a perfect one? I doubt it. So the creep allows the string to settle in. The tighter strands can creep a little more than the looser ones, and things can balance out.

Second the stretch. Once stretch is small enough to give you most of the efficiency, you reach a point of diminishing returns. The efficiency does not improve much, and the stress and shock increases for no benefit. There can even be a detriment if bowyers start using even more reinforcement at the tips to counter the higher stresses. Now, tip weight has gone up, and efficiency is going to decrease.

OK, there is some hand waving and unproved suppositions going on here in this explanation. But, thoughts like this may be the underlying reason for the cautions.

·
thumbless stringwalker
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Steve and all.
Good info as usual.
Martin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.