Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks?...with the stunning "out-of-the-box" bare shaft results I got with these .800 spine V6 VAP's I couldn't wait to get some feathers on them...and figured I'd share said experience with you all...so first things first...and the first thing was to get all the points secured into the full length shafts...and I had 2 different kinds of 2 part epoxy at home but they both had a 24hr cure time...it was Friday night after work...and I wanted to be able to shoot these lasers sometime this weekend...and there was lots of other "prep things" things to do as well to make these arrows the way I wanted....which included wiping the factory billboard banners off with a few swipes of lacquer thinner...then measuring and taping them off (*at BH length) to blow-can on a white capping of appliance epoxy...so 24hrs for the simple act of securing points?...no way...so I stopped at Bass Pro on the way home and found the running mate to the Easton's "Quick Bond" (I like so much for fast, clean feather application)..and it's called "Easton Bond All"....which is also "H.I.T. Insert Approved"...and while it cost about $9?...what impressed me about the stuff (over commercial super glues) is the fact that it had a slightly slower "Kick-Time"...where it allowed me a good 5-10 seconds to wick in the glue while spinning and floating these long shank points into the shafts without fear of them locking up before they were fully positioned and made for a panic free, ultra clean point installation process....

so I got the points installed...the factory banners wiped off...taped up and shot with the white epoxy caps last night which allowed me to be "Fletch Ready" by morning...where I opted to exercise the "Two Fletch Option" seeing how since they already fly like they don't need fletchings?...I felt as though two 3" LW Faux Barred feathers should be more than sufficient for these nano diameter, ultra-light, 5.1gpi shafts...set my bitz up for the 75degX105deg option...then spun and marked location on the first shaft *to decide on positioning for optimum clearance....

and settled on this...where just the outermost edges of the feathers appear to be in slight conflict but will clear all in paradox....

*Now at this point you might say..."Jinks?..why all the fuss about positioning a 2 fletch?...cause you can spin the nock afterwards to position the fletchings anyway you like and it's physically and virtually impossible to nock one up wrong!"...to which I would say..."Well you know me and how fussy I am...and there was one marking on these shafts that refused to come off...the white (V6 .800 10-20) marking just ahead of the bow in this next pic."...and I didn't feel like looking at it! LOL! So I positioned them all away from my eyes...distraction defeated. LOL!

I think they make a cute couple....and if you *Note: The white capping ends right at the bow so that every arrow acts as a visual BH check...although this B50 Flemish string Linda Brackenbury made me up hasn't moved in the past several hundred shots! LOL!

and on my way back into the house from taking these pix?...I passed that very same 15yd mark I shot my bare shafts from and just couldn't resist...bare fingers and all! LOL!

Does that "spot" look familiar?...cause it's right where all 3 of those bare shafts I shot from the same distance the other day packed up in a golfball sized group...looks like I'm going to need to build my strike plate out a layer of tape or two.

Thanks for reading and looking and now I got 9 more to go...L8R, Bill.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Looks like you're having fun Bill! As it should be...:shooting:

Reactions: Jinkster

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Very sharp Jinks, but a teaser with no video. :D Will you be shooting some groups with bare and fletched, or call it good?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! :)

Very sharp Jinks, but a teaser with no video. :D Will you be shooting some groups with bare and fletched, or call it good?
and Kenn?...for you?...and all you've done to help me?....yes...I will undoubtedly supplement this thread with a bare/fletched vid sometime this weekend. ;)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here ya go Kenn...and here's the deal...I had two left to fletch this morning...an appointment at my parents house and?...a bunch of things to post for sale and do today and didn't get to wrap hands on my bow and test these new arrows until 6:00pm this evening...no stretching...no warm-up shots...and just blew the whole doz out there one time...one take...at 20yds to see how they'd do before the sun went down...plucked a few...but overall?...I'm absolutely thrilled...and have yet to even start tuning the bow to them...here's the vid...thanks again for all your help and hope you enjoy and L8R, Bill.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Very nice Jinks, I'd take that kind of shooting any day. I'd keep those (2) bare Jinks just to check your form once in awhile. Maybe one of these days take a couple of those (2) fletch and add (2) more and test (4) fletch versus (2) fletch.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice Jinks, I'd take that kind of shooting any day. I'd keep those (2) bare Jinks just to check your form once in awhile. Maybe one of these days take a couple of those (2) fletch and add (2) more and test (4) fletch versus (2) fletch.
O yeah...I always keep at least two bares of anything I shoot...but as far as the 4 fletch goes?...that wouldn't be "a test"....that would just prove out what I already think I know which is...

A. Yep...even if I plucked a few here and there they'd fly like they were on a guide wire and/but?...

B. It would be defeating of the purpose that I sought out light, fast arrows for this ultra-light bow via "Doubling the Airbrakes"

Heck...the way the bareshafts were flying at first?....for a second there I was just going to buy a pack of neon green tracers and call'em fletched! :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts