1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Haybale Hunter
330 Posts
No. Not worth the suffering.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Funny you write this. I was just thinking about this in my stand last night. Seems its been so long since I have killed a deer with my bow that I feel very insecure about it. Even the ten yard shots that were presented were not tempting. This particular spot borders private land and anything short of a double lung shot could result in an animal that I cant track. So 50/50 I will hunt but I probably wont shoot. At what point do our odds go to 50/50 is a good question. 40 yards?shooting animals when they are aware? Not practicing enough, lots of factors, highly individual.
Simple answer yes I hunt no I dont shoot @50%

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
For me? No. Time to think about another weapon.

Reactions: bendystickman

·
Registered
746 Posts
A simple yes/no is not suitable because conditions are not explained.

If it was all I had and I needed the food - sure.

If you mean in our present situation and I had the option to use a more effective weapon - I would use the more effective weapon.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
as said earlier, in a survival situation, yes. maybe even in a cull hunt. doing what i'm doing? 50% aint near enough. i remember every lost deer...both of them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No. I practice very much with my archery gear and am extremely selective on my shots.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A simple yes/no is not suitable because conditions are not explained.
….
Agreed.
We need the ‘rest of the story’ with either your experiences….or your, ‘Asking for a friend‘ situation.

FWIW, I missed the first buck I shot at with a recurve…and badly. It was a tough pill to swallow as I was used to being so good with my compound that anything within 50 yards was DOA.

Its been a journey for me but I can tell you with the right processes its possible to be very close to 100% with trad equipment. Dont give up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts