Trad Talk Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Matt, that looks like a high-grade sharpening rig. Can you tell me what I’m looking at?
That there is a ruixin, just a cheap chinese knock off system. Think it was like 20 or 30 bucks.
Comes with complete garbage stones. Ive got a pile of 1x6 stones for my edge pro that mount in it and as I discovered during this sharpening session I can rig up my diamond plates to it too.
Not really my cup of tea for my knives but is perfect for cutting in a clean bevel into a broadhead.
Do

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good stuff Matt.
No doubt those Grizzleys look like a good head…. And I think made from pretty good steel right?

You did an amazing job on those edges. The only time I spend that much time on an edge is my processing knife.I love the Edge Pro But just run my two blade broad heads on those V-shaped chock sticks.

I would welcome the 3 to 1 blade design if it were a head made from stronger steel. I just hate losing expensive arrows burrowed into the dirt…. And bending BHs on rocks. It doesn’t bother me so much when I’m shooting a five dollar broadhead.

I might pick up that cheap jig…just because.

Reactions: Matt flint

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Good stuff Matt.
No doubt those Grizzleys look like a good head…. And I think made from pretty good steel right?

You did an amazing job on those edges. The only time I spend that much time on an edge is my processing knife.I love the Edge Pro But just run my two blade broad heads on those V-shaped chock sticks.

I would welcome the 3 to 1 blade design if it were a head made from stronger steel. I just hate losing expensive arrows burrowed into the dirt…. And bending BHs on rocks. It doesn’t bother me so much when I’m shooting a five dollar broadhead.

I might pick up that cheap jig…just because.
Im far from a steel expert but those grizzlies seemed very much similar to my vpa’s in how my stones grabbed em. Without having stuck an animal in a couple years now all other testing is with misses and foam.
The grizzlies keep an edge real well when I shoot the berm behind my target. I shot a 250 vpa a bit in the same manner with a good bit of edge rolling.
Not a fair test really though.
Just heard on a podcast last week that tuffhead is introducing another high carbon steel that they will make in 200grain glue on and take to a higher hardness. But at 25 a head Im kind of with you. Hard to justify. I think you got the right idea with those german jagers.
That ruixin sharpener sits in the toolbox most of the year. I much prefer the edgepro of benchstones for most jobs. But its proven well worth its cost with broadheads and odd shaped blades.
Taking the edge to the level pictured was about 70% showing off. Those suckers are plenty sharp right off the 300 diamond stone.

·
Vendor
642 Posts
Vpa 3 blade 1.25 is nastiest head I’ve tried . Blood trails are insane . Easy to sharpen also . But I do see the benefits of the single blade for penetration for sure .

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Vpa 3 blade 1.25 is nastiest head I’ve tried . Blood trails are insane . Easy to sharpen also . But I do see the benefits of the single blade for penetration for sure .
I need to get a paper wheel. Or try sharpening them on a dowel.. Best I can get with those heads is just barely shaving.
I bet they punch an awesome hole. They a super stout too. Once I can figure out how to get them a little sharper they will absolutely be on the menu

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ive had good blood trails with the3 blade VPAs, I still have some but like the cheap GJs now.

Those vpas are strong…but they will rust when hunting in the rain so you have to hit them with a chapstick or something,

Reactions: Matt flint

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ive had good blood trails with the3 blade VPAs, I still have some but like the cheap GJs now.

Those vpas are strong…but they will rust when hunting in the rain so you have to hit them with a chapstick or something,

I did vasaline this year on the grizzlies. Read anout that on some old thread.
Ill try something thinner late season as it was brought up the possibility of picking up debris/transferring to quiver.
I spent alot of time with an arrow nocked early elk season. Ended up in the mud a lot too. So that may be a relevant point. Though I always wiped my head. Itd only take once to get a bunch of crap up there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Id like to try some tusker broadheads, specifically the Concorde. Look up braveheart archery, heard good things for the cost! Also hard to go wrong with Ace or Zwickey and the Grizzly as mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts