Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Sunday I was down in the dumps over my poor shooting at a 3-D shoot. Today I'm a happy clam. Shot yesterday and shot well and was very pleased with my performance.

The only difference was I was shooting a Wes Wallace Mentor take down for the first time in a shoot and for some reason had great confidence in this bow. It didn't hurt that everyone who shoots this bow wants to buy it. I had two serious offers for trades and purchases yesterday alone. I really don't think the bow has a lot to do with it rather the confidence level in your head.

Like in golf, good shots breed good shots.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Glad to hear you are back in the saddle Reddogge! :)

Reactions: jerbearyukon

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks Mitch. How do you like your Mentor?
I like it a lot! Smooth as butter, fast, and it shoots a lot better than I do. :)

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I like it a lot! Smooth as butter, fast, and it shoots a lot better than I do. :)
That sums up my bow collection, too. I'm working on my shooting, figure my scores will follow eventually. Still what someone else called a 'top 5 shooter' ;-)

Reactions: ROD JENKINS

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
That bow model has got around the world ... a couple of weeks ago I was shooting in a 3D competition in Donegal, Northwest Ireland. I was paired up with a retired American air force vet shooting a Wallace Mentor. I had the 21" ILF Dalaa with SF shorts. I got a shooting lesson during the morning session! A fun day, great company and a great course.

Regards, James.

P.S.

Reddogge well done last weekend!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Good job, Reddogge! I shot my first 3D stringwalking the Excel/BF extremes and did better than I thought I would. Sometimes it helps to switch it up.

Is the Wes Wallace Mentor a Hill Style bow? I've heard good things. Is it fast? Quiet? Give me some details please.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Good job, Reddogge! I shot my first 3D stringwalking the Excel/BF extremes and did better than I thought I would. Sometimes it helps to switch it up.

Is the Wes Wallace Mentor a Hill Style bow? I've heard good things. Is it fast? Quiet? Give me some details please.
Tony, this is a terrible picture, but it the only one I have right now…..

BTW, a Wes Wallace Mentor is a recurve. Wes makes awesome longbows, he calls them the Royal, but you already have a bunch of awesome longbows. Wes makes bows that are really fast, but I doubt they have anything on Kegans.

Reactions: UrbanDeerSlayer

·
Registered
677 Posts
Too bad you are so far away, you could shoot this one until your arms fall off. :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Nice curve! I knew he made Hill Style longbows, didn't know about the recurves.

Mitch, last time I saw you, you were shooting the Bear, I guess you just got that Mentor, nice bow!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Nice curve! I knew he made Hill Style longbows, didn't know about the recurves.

Mitch, last time I saw you, you were shooting the Bear, I guess you just got that Mentor, nice bow!
Tony, my Mentor got here about a week after I shot with you and Kegan. Then I picked up a longbow after that. Now I want an ILF rig……

This stuff is getting silly. :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sadly I've never taken any pictures of mine. I've made it a point to shoot every Wes Wallace bow that's come across my path in the last several years and never shot a bad one (glad I'm right handed). Very stable, quiet, fast enough to suit me. So when my deal fell into my lap last month I jumped on it. BTW the Mentor is named after Jim Brackenbury for whom Wes Wallace worked for and learned his craft. Mine has a name on it, not my name but my very good friend and shooting buddy who had it built for him so it's OK.

Thanks all for the kind words on the shooting improvement.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Reddogge, if you ever need to get your Mentor cleaned up for any reason, the name is under the final finish coat…..it can be changed/removed very easily.

BTW, Wes is an awesome guy to deal with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.