Trad Talk Forums banner

242 at 52 pounds?!!

Tags
242 pounds
2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Atlantis 
G
#1 ·
Some of you might remember pics of a Swiss based bowyer's carbon longbow I posted here a while ago. I just came across a press release touting the same bowyer's recurve--

"Two Olympic recurve bows, manufactured from Gurit materials, smashed world records at the recent Archery Championships in Hungary.

One bow scored the highest number of points in 3D target shooting, speeding up to 232 ft/sec at only 42lbs. Another bow achieved an impressive speed of 242 ft/sec at 52lbs, making it the world's fastest recurve bow produced to date. Both bows were designed by experienced Swiss craftsman Mr. Willi Heuberger and manufactured from Gurit's carbon fibre pultrusions. "

Of course, I don't know what standard they're using...but I still thought you'd find it interesting.

Here's a pic of the bow...

See less See more
#2 ·
Any idea about draw length and arrow weight? Without that it means zip. I'm wondering where exactly these "world records" are recorded LOL. My bows routinely shoot over 250 with the stock string, 6grs/lb, and 30". There are plenty of other bows that will break 242. If he's doing it with heavier arrows then yea, I'm impressed. Otherwise, fffttt. The devil is in the details.

#3 ·
I did a Google search for Heuberger, and while it produced a few dozen results, this guy is clearly not all over the German-language Internet. The press release you quote, Pete, appears several times - it's by the manufacturer of the carbon components used. I can find no other reference to those figures.

Best,

Martin

#6 ·
I did a Google search for Heuberger, and while it produced a few dozen results, this guy is clearly not all over the German-language Internet. The press release you quote, Pete, appears several times - it's by the manufacturer of the carbon components used. I can find no other reference to those figures.

You mean he isnt on every message board telling us how important performance is? Actually letting the bow and the results do the talking? Thats weird. (anyone notice it is a forward handle?)

#8 ·
Going fast is all fine and grand. Is the thing stable to shoot? Does it give bad handshock? Does it sound like an old Dodge when shot? How long before it blows up? Is it a torque free grip? How many rubber mushroom heads and string poofies does it take for it to be tolerable to shoot?

Reminds me of the kid with the fastest bike in town. Never mind how useless the fastest bike in town is 90% of the time or how many rebuilds the kid has to pay for. Keeps the parts builders in paychecks anyway.

Hot rod kids are cheap entertainment for the rest of us to point and laugh at. For me, a bow should be a simple, dependable, consistant, tough tool and I use them as such. Oh, well. Hype sells. Does it come in this year's camo?

G
#10 ·
I have NO idea...but for 6K it BETTER be with at least 7 grns per pound...lol...

In any event, interesting looking bows with the carbon pultrusions looking almost like snake skin and the "Apogee" like riser...

They definitely are eye catching, like the looks or not...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.