Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1g, what are you looking for? Can post a picture? Why brass. I can cast one from a mold of your current one adding lead BB.
Dan
I assumed brass, not knowing which would be heavier. Wonder how much a lead grip would weight? This particular grip for a sky metel riser. But probably, if it works, every bow from now on. Should be a good business for somebody

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Solid brass two pieces would be heavier than a one piece molded urethane grip with lead BB filler. Brass two pieces machined would be very costly. Molding requires a casting mold of your grip. Here is one I did some time when the bow company went under. It urethane without any fillers. Bow was heavy enough. Lol.
DDD

View attachment 25902

View attachment 25903

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Brass is soft, get a piece of bar stock and cut it to length and drill a mounting hole. Get out a file and shape as needed. Unless you have a friend with a mill and a tracer/duplicator, the cost to do what you want would be very prohibitive. Why not just wear one of those 2.5lb ankle weights on your wrist?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
ILF riser?

How about a set of tungsten tiller bolts?

-Grant

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is tungsten much heavier? Sounds like a good idea. I wonder... club rules state no added weight. But adding heavier materials seems innocent enough. As long as it is not additional add on....... hmmmm wonder.... I shot a few tournaments with my hunting rig, quiver on, full of arrows. Wonder if that was illegal?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Is tungsten much heavier? Sounds like a good idea. I wonder... club rules state no added weight. But adding heavier materials seems innocent enough. As long as it is not additional add on....... hmmmm wonder.... I shot a few tournaments with my hunting rig, quiver on, full of arrows. Wonder if that was illegal?
No. Shooting with a full quiver and carrying extra in your back pocket is not illegal, unless you keep kicking their .......
DDD

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Totally fine so long as you use the same arrows as you have in the quiver, you can't have 6 with 300gr points and be shooting ones with 100gr points. The only problem is the offset weight, but if you shoot from a cant you can actually use the quiver to make the bow balance at the angle you prefer.

I'd mount it upside down with the points lower to get the weight in the right place. Also look into getting some mounting hardware made out of brass or stainless.

-Grant

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Totally fine so long as you use the same arrows as you have in the quiver, you can't have 6 with 300gr points and be shooting ones with 100gr points. The only problem is the offset weight, but if you shoot from a cant you can actually use the quiver to make the bow balance at the angle you prefer.

I'd mount it upside down with the points lower to get the weight in the right place. Also look into getting some mounting hardware made out of brass or stainless.

-Grant
What rules are you referring to Grant? All the rules I've read pertain to arrows being shot. "Quivers" must be designed to hold arrows and not designed to add weight. I have read comments of people mentioning quivers pointing straight forward should be illegal, and I would agree. Who mounts a quiver like that other then a guy using it like a stab? I have used a quiver as a means to add weight to overall bow, don't see where that violates any rule.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
What rules are you referring to Grant? All the rules I've read pertain to arrows being shot. "Quivers" must be designed to hold arrows and not designed to add weight. I have read comments of people mentioning quivers pointing straight forward should be illegal, and I would agree. Who mounts a quiver like that other then a guy using it like a stab? I have used a quiver as a means to add weight to overall bow, don't see where that violates any rule.
I think if a person were to have a quiver of full length 2315 arrows with 300gr points and weighted inserts but be actually shooting lightweight 600s they would be in violation of the rule which states that all arrows must be identical.

Plus I believe the IBO also has a rule stating that the quiver cannot be mounted away from the bow. Inverted is fine from what I've seen.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
All
1,045 Posts
Hello
Hope I'm understanding this right. If not feel free to enlighten me where I strayed. ;)

You are wanting to add weight to your riser.
And like Sam says. And I have read also Grant likes his weight lower on a riser.

Why not have Sam add a apiece of brass or something with weight to your lower limb pocket. ;) [ Later

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I think if a person were to have a quiver of full length 2315 arrows with 300gr points and weighted inserts but be actually shooting lightweight 600s they would be in violation of the rule which states that all arrows must be identical.

Plus I believe the IBO also has a rule stating that the quiver cannot be mounted away from the bow. Inverted is fine from what I've seen.

-Grant
Would be interesting to get official comment on it. As long as your not shooting those arrows, I don't see how you would be in violation? The intent of the rule as I read it is to keep someone from having arrows of various lengths/weights that are used for specific distances(maybe point on for different distances).

·
Super Moderator
2,770 Posts
To me it would be cheating. Most of the various competition organization have some rules regarding what sort of weights are permitted. In some classes it is none. Any attempt to add weight by other than the allowed means seems unethical to me.

As an example, here in California the longtime rule for longbows allowed for 3 piece takedowns, which until recently had wooden risers. Some guy made a riser about the size of 3x6 timber, with large limb bolts. One had chunks of angle iron under the limb bolts. He said it was the mounts for his bow quiver. It was allowed and he won a lot of events but it seemed out of line to me.

Trying to evade the rules of your class to gain an advantage seems out of line to me.

I once thought about tungsten bolts for one of my bows, but I decided that would be out of line. So I didn't do it. We have got to monitor ourselves. - lbg

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
So, is there any difference between a slight modification of your bow any more different than having a bow customized to your weight/grip, balance and string requirements?
DDD

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do understand how on one hand some may see it as trying to cheat. So therefore the next idea would be to just buy a heavier riser.
For me, it is not about the scores.
These bows just seem to much like a "toy". I want them to feel like a tool in my hand

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
This is the same situation that I find myself in. I want a heavier bow and one that balances better. Due to rules I am looking at buying a heavier riser versus being allowed to add weights to the riser I arty have. That is why I like the whole point to ring rule like feet and others versus just saying no weights, no stabilizers, no modifications. I would much rather spend $40 on weights, than $400 on a new riser, and it puts the guy who can't afford the new riser at a disadvantage. I could simply switch classes and shoot RU, but then I'd be the only one in my class and that's no fun.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is the same situation that I find myself in. I want a heavier bow and one that balances better. Due to rules I am looking at buying a heavier riser versus being allowed to add weights to the riser I arty have. That is why I like the whole point to ring rule like feet and others versus just saying no weights, no stabilizers, no modifications. I would much rather spend $40 on weights, than $400 on a new riser, and it puts the guy who can't afford the new riser at a disadvantage. I could simply switch classes and shoot RU, but then I'd be the only one in my class and that's no fun.
Do the rules state no modifications?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.