Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been stringwalking, and when I get past my point-on distance, I've been using my shelf or stacking or what have you, when it occurred to me that if moving your hand below the arrow makes your point-on distance closer, then moving your hand above the arrow should make it farther away. So, I tried it, and it works really well. I get an extra 10 yards with 2 fingers over the arrow, and an extra 20 yards with all 3 fingers over the arrow. The flight of the arrow doesn't seem to be adversely affected. Is this a commonly-used methodology? I've never seen it done before, but I figure for long-range shooting it's pretty handy.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
That is really interesting. I have heard of folks shooting split for their long point on but not 2 or 3 over. I have a low, Olympic anchor so 3 over for me would be something like 200 yards ;).

Rasyad

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is really interesting. I have heard of folks shooting split for their long point on but not 2 or 3 over. I have a low, Olympic anchor so 3 over for me would be something like 200 yards ;).

Rasyad
I have a low olympic anchor as well, but I'm going to use 2-over and 3-over for shooting a longbow with woodies at an 80 yard target in the Hereford round. I haven't taken my ILF rig outdoors yet (still waiting on my outdoor limbs) so I don't know what my point-on distance is with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Split finger shooters are already positioned above the center line of the bow, necessitating tiller differences between top and bottom limb. I suspect this will get worse as you move up the string.

But then again, string walkers already do this in the other direction and they seem to get away with it. I guess we won't know until somebody tries it.

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Split finger shooters are already positioned above the center line of the bow, necessitating tiller differences between top and bottom limb. I suspect this will get worse as you move up the string.

But then again, string walkers already do this in the other direction and they seem to get away with it. I guess we won't know until somebody tries it.
I would think that at some point moving up the string is counter-productive, as you're reducing the power sent to the arrow due to the uneven nature of the tiller. So, there must be diminishing returns in going up the string. However, going even three fingers over is relatively close to center-line by the standards of stringwalking, and I didn't notice any major changes to my arrow flight while I achieved a longer point-on distance, which was my goal.

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
I've done 2 and 3-over in the past with pretty good results. I rarely ever shoot 3-over as 2-over can get me out to 80yds reliably with my anchor. I have my bows set to even tiller and never noticed any real issues. I normally shoot 3-under so I figure 3-over should be on the other side of the tolerable range for my tiller.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I don't know if I could get comfortable with that myself. If I need distance and I shoot split I drop my anchor to first finger and then an under the chin olympic anchor. I guess I could try it.

I've been hitting an 80 yard animal pretty regularly by my normal high middle finger split anchor and aiming above its back about 3'. Peppering it pretty good though.

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With a little more playing around, I'm finding that normal split finger with the arrows I intend to use for a hereford round in a couple of months (80 yards max distance, but 72 arrows at that distance) I'm getting a point-on of 75 yards. Two over I'm getting a point-on of 85 yards. Now, that might make it sound like the two-over is overkill, but I prefer lollipopping a target when possible. I find that being a little gapped is better than being a little stacked for me. So, I think I'll probably shoot 2 over at 80 and aim for the base of the target, which on a 48 inch round should be just about right.

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
2 over? 3 over? Witchcraft!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
So, I've been stringwalking, and when I get past my point-on distance, I've been using my shelf or stacking or what have you, when it occurred to me that if moving your hand below the arrow makes your point-on distance closer, then moving your hand above the arrow should make it farther away. So, I tried it, and it works really well. I get an extra 10 yards with 2 fingers over the arrow, and an extra 20 yards with all 3 fingers over the arrow. The flight of the arrow doesn't seem to be adversely affected. Is this a commonly-used methodology? I've never seen it done before, but I figure for long-range shooting it's pretty handy.
Interesting! What are you using as an anchor point? A finger to corner of your mouth or jawbone or ??? Will have to give this a try.

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting! What are you using as an anchor point? A finger to corner of your mouth or jawbone or ??? Will have to give this a try.
I shoot with an oly style under the chin anchor, though I suspect this could work for pretty much any anchor point, so long as you have a double nock set.

·
Super Moderator
2,769 Posts
Brilliant observation! I don't mind a bit of benign white witchcraft. Magic has always been a big part of archery. I just hope nobody tries to bring it to the world of longbows. Dark consequences would surely follow. - lbg

Reactions: Atlatlista

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With a 30lb recurve and heavy aluminum arrows, I'm point-on at 80 yards 3-over. So, I figure if I crank the limbs down to 33lb and use carbons I can probably reduce that to 2-over for my 70m point-on for outdoor nationals. Don't have the money for new limbs yet, so I'll make up for it with strange aiming techniques.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.