Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot the bottom dot at 17 yards from a 5/8" crawl holding six o'clock on the yellow of the dot. You see the Impact point. I have been working on my anchors lately. It is not as easy as you might think to get two different anchors to shoot the same place.

I kept the same 5/8" crawl but changed anchor from my middle finger which I shot the bottom dot with to my index finger. I took me about a week to get the shooting the same place.

Switching anchor gained me 7" at 17 yards from the same crawl.

·
Registered
639 Posts
So what point on do you think 7" above 17 yards would be. ~30 yards?
So if you went further and your standard crawl was 5/8" using a ring finger anchor, what would the step-up be for a middle finger anchor, and then for an index finger anchor? Thus three POD's for the same crawl.

If this is the direction you are headed.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if you went further and your standard crawl was 5/8" using a ring finger anchor, what would the step-up be for a middle finger anchor, and then for an index finger anchor? Thus three POD's for the same crawl.

If this is the direction you are headed.

Regards,

Salskov
Yep I was exploring the possibilities. What got me started was I wanted to see if the two anchors would shoot to the same place?? mine didn't and I wonder why and if I could fix it.

Then I wonder what the possibilities might be. :crymeariv

Edit index finger shot 3" left

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hunting Crawl Deluxe.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Yep I was exploring the possibilities. What got me started was I wanted to see if the two anchors would shoot to the same place?? mine didn't and I wonder why and if I could fix it.

Then I wonder what the possibilities might be. :crymeariv

Edit index finger shot 3" left
You knew they wouldn't shoot to the same spot Rusty, did you mean shoot the same verticle line?

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Rusty, I'm not a string walker or a facecrawler, I have more than enough trouble just grouping them with a single anchor and string hold.

BUT in my long-ago youth, the old guys I hunted with (mostly WW2 and Korean War vets) used a two anchor style. they used a normal jaw/corner of the mouth anchor for most of their shooting. But they also practiced what they called 'shotgunning", anchoring high right under the eye so they could sight along the arrow for point-blank close up targets.
This bunch were meat hunters who were hunting to feed their families with a different approach to hunting rules and ethics than we can afford now. They were hunting out of trees long before "tree-stands" became popular (or legal) T were hunting with old "classic era" slo-bows with heavy arrows huge homemade heads and heavy helical 6" fletch.
Their "shotgunning" was employed mostly when perched very insecurely up in the limbs of trees along deer runs or using "natural" baits. Using those same high-trajectory bows and arrows and their normal hold I saw them routinely punching 8" paper plates out to 80 yards.

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my hunting bow i have a little serving knot marking that point, a fixed crawl. i have a cheek bone anchor (ring finger). the middle finger and ring finger alway shot to the same veritcal line. my index finger anchor shoots left of the two high anchors. i fixed that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts