Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I shoot 50# recurve and my draw length is 26".
I'm trying to pick the right broadhead.
Should I get 2 blade, 3 blade or 4 blade?
Thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've shot 4 deer this year, and so far I'm down 4 broadheads and 3 shafts. I'm starting to think "cheap" is good.

I'm also curious about your question. I've tried all three types and am no smarter. I've had good hits with 2 blades that did not leave much, if any, blood trail. I've also had blood "slicks" with 2 blade heads. I don't know if lack of blood trail was because of the 2 blade head or just the circumstances of the particular hit. So, my question, to go with yours, is do two blade broadheads have issues with getting good blood trails?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've been bowhunting since he mid 50's. Over all those years the deadliest head I have used in a well sharpened Razorcap...3 blade. My wife shoots 45# @ 26" and I put them on her arrows...two holes every time and excellent blood trails although most game goes down in sight.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I'm with Bill on the Razorcaps - but, I think the single most important thing about at broadhead that gives a good blood trail is having it Scalpel SHARP. Personally I prefer 3 and 4 blade heads just makes sense that they would put more blood on the ground.

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Its an interesting question, but a very complex one. If you've ever visited one of the serious broadhead collectors displays you'll see every variation under the sun, and each year new ones come on the market.

We all have, like other things, opinions. There is very little true scientific testing of broadhead effectiveness. What passes as science is fraught with assumptions and errors (like I said we all have opinions) Each arrow launched at a game animal is a unique event. There are just too many cotten-pick'n variables. lab tests on "standardized media" can tell us something about penetration----on "standard media" but relatively little about how they actually will perform on a unique living breathing moving game animal.

traditionalists have long favored strong two-bladed cut-to-the-point heads and they advance numerous reasons for that preference.---generally based on penetration. Advocates of 3 and 4 blade heads have their own arguments mostly based on the idea that the hole they create bleeds more readily leaving a better blood trail for tracking and recovery.
Game animals die because of blood loss. The more and the faster their blood loss and resulting dropping blood pressure the quicker they loose unconscious and die. Assuming a properly placed arrow hole (one of the variables) a larger more open hole will result in faster blood loss and a more humane kill and a resultantly easier tracking and recovery effort.

I have and use both 2 and 3 blade heads. I have also tried 4 blade Muzzys but don't currently use them. I find that, in my own experience with my own gear, that 3 and 4 blade heads shoot a bit more accurately than the traditional solid 2 blade heads. This may reflect "wind planing" or tuning issues. I've found that the large solid 2 blade heads seem happier with a bit more fletch. obviously arrow speed/spine/paradox etc may be factors. I'm a deer hunter and I have never found penetration to be a problem, I'm fortunate that I've never had to loose a 2nd arrow, but then I don't take "iffy" shots. Ribs and even shoulder blades have never kept a shot from being lethal.
Now if I were shooting larger thicker bodied game with heavy bones and layers of subcutaneous fat it might be a different story (more of those variables)
And this year I'll be hunting, I hope, with lighter bow weight than I have used in the past. I'm getting a late start this year and I'm still trying to decide which of my broadheads I'll use. Probably 150 gr 2-blade Thundrheds or Razorcaps if I use the .340 shafts, and 125 g Satellite Titans as 2 blades or 125 gr 3-blade thunderheads of Woodsmans. any will do the job--assuming I do mine.
YMMV----good hunting

Reactions: 4444

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have always been a 4bl fan and that is all I shoot, do not like 2bl heads and have seen longer and less frequent blood trails from those. 4bl heads just seem to give me larger, cleaner holes in the animals.
But I tailor my setup to ensure as much penetration as possible and use heavy tip weighted carbon arrows and I always want 2 holes in an animal.

Reactions: 4444
1 - 7 of 7 Posts