Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Yea, I'm almost sure that is what it is. It's an early GM T/D hunter riser. They are rare as hens teeth. John contacted me some time back about finishing options on some risers he had. I think what we are looking at is a really nice powder job on a cool old riser. That notch looks cool, but taking material out of such a critical area leaves me scratching my head:sbrug:

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
DAS Kinetic said:
...taking material out of such a critical area leaves me scratching my head...
David,

I can explain this one and Bob should have thought of this. The designer probably had a manly draw length, not abbreviated like some (lol), and had trouble getting arrows long enough. A broadhead on too short a shaft makes that cut-out a necessity.

OK, now you can tell all your gorilla and ape jokes (smiley face goes here).

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Na, That was before Bubba had pull tabs on his sixpack, it's a bottle opener as beer in glass bottles was more traditional at the time. After all..it was a hunting bow...lol...warf

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know anything about it...it was sent to me by John to powdercoat, and I kept it way too long...actually...I think John was starting to sweat a bit wondering where it was!!!.......Between doing this type of "fun" work...My primary side buisness is machining Motorcycle grips/pegs, and accesories. Take a look at some of my stuff....contact me for powdercoating, electroplating, welding, mill and lathe work. And John will tell you...turn around time may be a little while!!!!! So don't be in a hurry....I believe my inexpensive prices make up for the turn around time though.....lol!!!

JH CUSTOMS

·
John Conaway
1,646 Posts
Glad you are back here!

Jason really good to see the riser pictures. Looks Great!
The rest of the story Guys! I contacted Jason a while back about powdercoating my treasured TD2 hunter riser. I was sending the limbs to BOWDOC for a refinish and wanted the riser to really look good. After seeing the work Jason did that he posted on the old site I decided he was the MAN. As we all know good things take time but I started to worry,you cant just go out and buy a replacment,and sent Jason an email about 3AM one morning and guess what he answered right back! Now thats service! I am looking forward to getting an eye ball on it. Thanks again Jason and WELCOME HOME we missed you here! :highfive: John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
between making dog food and turning out parts...I don't shoot anymore.......sad really....there was a time when I ruled the roost at the local events...even snagged me a 4th place at the IBO worlds (outdoors) and a second at the IBO Worlds (indoors)...couple of top three ASA placements....but times have changed....kids....married.....fun...........now...I like to make stuff and do the work like you see here and on my site!

·
John Conaway
1,646 Posts
She is BACK!

Well the wait is over. The long awaited package arrived and the wait was worth it. Great job Hoytheld. Thanks I put a set of W&W synergys on and shot a couple. Good to go. NOT a DAS but its the next best thing for a hunting bow. :) Now if I can just find a good set of C+ limbs for a TD2 riser! :shooting: John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John...
Glad you like it....
Now for the sad part.....yes...I did have both of these guys risers for an extended period of time......when all it takes is less than 2 hrs total prep and powder time....damn...that is sad....but all I can say is I hope the quality makes up for it a little!

If anyone needs a riser coated....$40.00 will get it done in any color....this includes S&H back(but not INS.) also....I'll take $5.00 off if it is sent already preped (sand blasted)

Oh yea...I promise to have it back within a week !!!! (ok a week or two!)

John...shoot me a couple of "close ups" for my website!!

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
haha old thread I stumbled on this one looking for some other stuff. For some reason there's a post in it still containing an older picture....not deleted in some of the upgrdes.
2005 thread and they (some) are calling this riser pictured a TD-2 but I think it is a TWIN to my risers I've had and my one current one, a Hoyt TD-1 H16.
compare my riser side picture to 1bjd's riser pictured in post #16. SAAME whether td-1 or td-2.
I have never read anywhere that Hoyt continued this riser from the td-1 into the td-2 lines.
I have been told numerous times the TD-2s all had the same plastic grips & thinned grip frames as the later td-3 risers.
OF COURSE we old car & truck buffs & antique tractor folks all know manufacturers sometimes clena out old product lines & parts in the next model year, then change in middle of new product year at some point in time in the serial numbers.......resulting in some odd stuff for collectors.
Note both mine & 1bjd's riser have the thicker cast grip frame, not removeable like my TD-2.
see my current TD-1 H16.....
then see my TD-2 H20......note difference in grips.....mine is a true TD-2 as noted in grip frame under the plastic grip.......possibility does exist that Earl might have begun the TD-2 line using old risers, then changed when the supply was gone.....as far as I have known & seen & been told, the TD-1's had no ID on them.......where TD-2 & TD-3 had it on the grip frame underneath the plastic grip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Steve,
The only similarity I see is the limb pockets. The distance from the bottom of the grip to the limb pad is different and the sight window has the cut out that allows the broadhead to be drawn further back.

I had an opportunity to buy a TD-1 but passed, I am not really fond of the really, really short risers. I still have to other TD risers.

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
yeh RICK, I was caught with the mention I think someone above made years back - with the shorty riser referred to as a TD-2.
I stir this stuff up every once in a while if I see something odd, as I THINK I know stuff, then I see something different elsewhere.......hoping someone will confirm something!!!!
Knowledge is good, and some absolutes would be great haha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts