Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 17" Black Wolf riser. Coming from a 19" riser, I'd like to keep as much sight window as I can with this shorter riser. So I will shoot off the shelf.

I'm wondering if there is a nock height/tiller combination that will preserve the sight window to the maximum degree. In other words, that will keep the arrow launch as close to the shelf as possible without hitting it and deranging the flight of the arrow. I shoot split finger.

Ideas?

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No replies. Maybe my question didn't make sense.

My (limited) understanding is that a high knock point will make for more certain clearance of the shelf. Similarly, positive tiller will tend to do the same thing.

My goal is to clear the shelf as closely as possible, so that the distance from the arrow in flight (or the arrow's trajectory) to the top of the sight window is as great as possible. Preserving the sight window.

So I'd rather use a low knock point, like 3/8". If I start there, can I then start with a low positive tiller and increase tiller little by little until I get consistent shelf clearance?

Does this make sense?

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Nocking point should be set to what a bareshaft says it should be. If you arbitrarily move it you introduce porpoising and if there's one thing that can screw with your tune it's that. False dynamic spine readings very common. This is why I always tune for nocking point height / porpoising before anything else.

The guide is the bareshaft.

· Premium Member
2,729 Posts
It's been my observation that a lot of "traditional" shooters use arrows that are waaaaay too stiff. Raising their nocking point definately helps with clearance and flight issues for them. If you have a "properly" tuned arrow it will bypass the shelf and pose no issues, unless of course, you have a very wide/deep shelf. In that case you can put your cock feather in and help with any clearance issues.

Here's a video of what a "properly" tune arrow looks like as it bends around the shelf. As you can see, there is NO clearance issues.

To answer your question, no, I don't think so. You simply should tune your bow and shoot. If you're not satisfied with your sight picture (being too short) get a longer riser. :)

· Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I would like to get another 17” riser, I have 19” now. With the 17” Samick Discovery riser I had the sight window was not an issue regardless whether I used a rest or not, I’m not sure about any other 17”.

· Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Tracker, I'm playing with anchor points and might switch to a low anchor. If you recall, I was on quite the hunt for a lightweight ILF riser for long days hiking with bow in hand. Found it at last, and don't want to lose what sight window it has. Thus the silly question about nock point, tiller and shelf shooting:)

· Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Thanks, Tracker, I'm playing with anchor points and might switch to a low anchor. If you recall, I was on quite the hunt for a lightweight ILF riser for long days hiking with bow in hand. Found it at last, and don't want to lose what sight window it has. Thus the silly question about nock point, tiller and shelf shooting:)
Speaking of weight limbs can add a bit, the difference in weight between my Samick R3 carbon foam limbs which were the heaviest I have owned and the Gobi limbs is pretty big.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts