Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really had me scared. I knew I had a good hit! No blood so I went wide on my search. Came back started over and it was within 50 yards.
Plant Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass

·
Registered
283 Posts
Did you touch them up out of the package? I've killed about 25-30 whitetails with a stinger. Once I figured out sharpening on deer number 5 or 6 the blood trails got a lot better. They are barely adequate sharpness out of the box and if they stay in a quiver will require touch ups during the season. Congratulations on the kill though. Great shot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not. They would shave hair out of the package. His chest cavity was full of blood!
I did hone it afterwards with 800 then 1200 wet or dry sandpaper.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Congrats on your deer. I am big fan of the Stinger, in the two blade variety. Having no blood on the ground is a hard pill to swallow, however. I will have both the Stinger and a three blade Muzzy in my quiver. I know the standard three blade Muzzy make a big hole.

·
Registered
309 Posts
These are great points..I used to shoot them, I don’t anymore, but only cause I shoot 200-250gr heads..I shot 3 deer with them. Had decent blood on 2 and zero on the other.. it’s got everything to do with th angle…, one blood trail was blood spraying out the nose/mouth.. all 3 where within 75 yards and died on a run.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been replaying this in my head. I had to have gotten the bottom of the diaphragm. There was blood in the stomach area as well. Stomach was not punctured. I found the hole in the very back of one lung and about 3 inches forward on the other.

He had to have bled out internally.

·
Registered
402 Posts
That’s what I have is Stingers but haven’t shot anything with them. I’m very disappointed in that there is no blood trail, a real problem where I hunt.
Maybe I’ll put on some Buzzcuts instead.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe that had to do with where I hit him. No diaphragm cut and he would have blessed more to the outside? He ran straight uphill, so if I did cut the diaphragm, that would answer why he bled all internally?

·
Registered
402 Posts
When I was young (50 years ago) the common thought among hunters here at that time was partial penetration was desirable thinking the half of arrow outside would be hitting stuff as the deer runs causing more internal damage while the shaft kept the wound open for a good blood trail. Now a days it’s all about full penetration.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The true cut on contact head is essential for max penetration. I think sometimes the blood trail lacks because unlike a head with a chisel tip the skin is punctured so fast it doesn't stretch and create a larger hole. Ive noticed that with deer ive shot with true coc vs heads like slick trick and exodus with my compound.

My guess is that deer sprinted 50 yards, stopped, stood there looking back and fell over.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've shot one deer with stingers. I shot it near the end of shooting light, and I knew I didn't get a full penetration. I could see the fletches as it ran off, so at least I knew the location was good. Unfortunately it started raining about 15 minutes later. I didn't end up finding the deer until about 2 a.m. It had bedded down about 75 yards away, down a gulley of course. Because of the rain it took forever to find the blood trail. The only blood left was on the UNDERSIDE of the ferns and leaves. Once my wife figured that out, it only took about an hour to find.

At first I was pretty disappointed, but in retrospect I learned a couple of good lessons. And I figure the blood trail couldn't have been too bad if it survived a few hours of rain. I did swap my blades over to the buzz cut style though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I always felt when it comes to blood, it’s how you hit them. Broncman put a good shot on that doe. It just works out that way sometimes. Been there more times than I care to remember.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,491 Posts
I think blood trails are similar to spinning a roulette wheel. Think about the anatomy of animals. There is a layer of hide, a layer of subcutaneous tissue, one or more layers of muscle, and two layers of pericardium. When an arrow goes through these and out the other side, the wound canal is lined up for an instant. Then the animal moves and each layer goes its own separate direction and the wound canal stands a very high chance of being blocked. Do your best, but be prepared to follow pinhead sized droplets by headlamp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts