Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my new anchor and draw I had to step up in arrow spine.
Arrows are flying great bare shaft perfect.

Bow is 23" zenit with short 3rivers carbon foam limbs, 64" bow
Drawn to 51# at my anchor.
Arrows are easton axis 400 spine with 45gr cx pile driver outserts, for a total arrow weight of 450 grains

This will be for mulies and elk

Now I need recommendations on a good 100gr broadhead.

I have these in 100 grain
Magnus snuffer SS 3 blade broadheads
Magnus stinger 4 blade
Simmons two blade land sharks
Muzzy 4 blade
G5 monteck 3 blade

What would you recommend? From heads above or heads you like?

Chad

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt, I agree 100% but while practicing I have noticed when I miss and hit something hard like plywood or the like, the ferrul has a tendency to bend where the 4 blade screws in, the ferrul there is 1/2 the strength.
Wonder if the two blade is more durable?

Yeah easy way to avoid this is not miss or hit the back stop
;-)

Chad

·
Registered
402 Posts
Magnus, lifetime guarantee. Great broadhead. Love the Stinger and buzz cut line.

My next fav but not on your list are Thunderheads. Sharpest blades I've seen and very durable. I kinda stink at sharpening my own so. Never really gave Snuffers or montec's a try.

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott, you are correct, mike is a stand up guy I've used there warrante a few times, but I have many Magnus heads so I usually scrap the bent ones.

I do have some thunderheads, thanks for reminding me, I'll have to check the weight not sure if they are 100 or 125? Lord I think I've had them 15 years.
And they are SHARP for sure.

Another to throw in the mix is muzzy phantom mx 4 blade.

Come on nice weather I need to have a broadhead throw down in the near future.
Yes I am a junkiebroadheadaholic!!!!

Chad

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I just dropped down to 10o grain points too, we must be on the same wavelength....:sbrug:

I am gonna bite the bullet and buy a half dozen stingers for next year.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Coodster- I agree with you on the Stingers. For what it's worth, I have shot two deer with them and if you put them in the boiler room there is no problem. But I also hit a deer in the shoulder and the ferrule bent in the same place as you mentioned. I have never used them, but I have some Montecs and they seem strong with their one piece construction. It is also harder to get a razor sharp edge on them. My choice would be 100 grain 4 blade Phantom. I have never had one fail on me and they fly really well with a good tune.

·
The Mad Scientist
1,492 Posts
X4? on the Stinger 4 blade, but not the buzz cuts. You don't need the buzz part as that can catch on fur which is not good. They cut very well without them.

I don't like 3 blade heads for trad bow either. But blade number is a misconception. A 2 blade is really a 1 blade, it cuts in one plane, a 4 blade is really a 2 blade as it cuts in 2 planes, but a 3 really is a 3. It takes effort to start a cut but once you do it’s easy to keep it going (like slicing a tomato or cucumber). That’s why 4 blades generally outperform 3 blades, and if you look at the cutting area of a stinger 4 blade they are about the same as a 3 blade.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've got to throw in a vote for the land sharks, been shooting them a long time with good results. Dave has a better bleeder blade for them now if you choose to go that route. I have always shot them without the bleeders.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used to shoot the stingers and they shoot great but never was to impressed with the blood trials. I went woodsmen and will not shoot anything else. They fly great and leave a nice blood trial. I just prefer the three blade better. Thanks

Jon

·
The Mad Scientist
1,492 Posts
The cool part about the Stringers is they are now sharpened on both sides (leading and trailing edge), so if the arrow stays inside or backs out it will cause more damage. Some other heads have this too which is a great idea. Never seen that on a 3 blade though, which would be hard to sharpen.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Wish there was a single bevel 3-1 lite head,,may make my own?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts